The DELOS project ran from 2004 to 2008. The project aimed to draw upon the combined strengths of partners in a number of specific digital preservation areas, both practical and theoretical. The State Archives Service participated in WP6, which focused its activities around five main areas:
- A digital Testbed forum;
- A typology of storage formats;
- Design, realisation, and management of digital repositories;
- System functionality descriptions and documentation;
- Options for integrating digital information management into design and development technologies.
Besides collaborating and exchanging knowledge with other research institutes well-known for their digital preservation activities, the project delivered four important reports:
- A Framework for Documenting the Behaviour and Functionality of Digital Objects and Preservation Strategies;
- Integrating Preservation Aspects into the Design Process of Digital Libraries;
- A Framework for a Digital Preservation Testbed;
- File Formats Typology and Registries for Digital Information.
Forty five European institutions (mostly Universities) participated in the DELOS project overall, all with an importance and interest in the management and preservation of digital preservation.